The Florida Gymnasium (commonly known as “Florida Gym”) is a historic building located next to the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Design work began by University architect Rudolph Weaver during World War II and completed by his successor Guy Fulton. It replaced the old University Gymnasium built in 1915, which then became the Women’s Gym. The Florida Gym opened in 1949 as a 7,000-seat multi-purpose arena that was home to the Florida Gators men’s basketball team until it was replaced by the Stephen C. O’Connell Center as the university’s indoor sports arena in 1980. While serving as the home court of the Gators basketball team, it was known as “Alligator Alley.”
The Florida Gym was adapted to other uses after the O’Connell Center was completed in the mid-1990s. The last remains of the original seating sections were removed and replaced with classrooms for the College of Health and Human Performance during a major renovation of the facility. The playing surface remains, and is used for student recreation and other purposes.
In 2008, the Florida Gym became a contributing property in the University of Florida Campus Historic District. Currently, this 140,000-square-foot facility houses 57 faculty members, departmental and dean’s offices, research laboratories, two full-length basketball courts, six 100-plus seat lecture halls, classrooms, reading rooms, and faculty locker rooms. (Facility rental information)
The Florida Pool is an eight-lane, 50-yard outdoor facility that ranges in depth from 4.5 feet (1.4 meters) to 12.5 feet (3.8 meters). The pool is heated to 84 degrees during the winter months. Florida Pool is home to one of the largest academic diving programs in the nation. It also provides programming space for aquatic classes, recreational swimming,and sports clubs.