HHPeers: Mentor/Mentee Program
About the Program
The HHPeers Program aims to match new students (mentee) with an upperclassman (mentor). Mentors will be able to help the mentee adjust to life at UF, offer advice on a variety of topics, based on their own personal learning experiences (i.e. where to live off campus, places to find employment as a student, campus resources, classes they enjoyed taking, reminders of academic deadlines, ONE.UF). The main goal of the program is to create a family-like atmosphere at HHP and help connect the students to the college as soon as they arrive. The selected upperclassmen will officially serve as a mentor for the academic year. It is the program’s hope that the mentor-mentee relationship will continue beyond the academic year.
Who is eligible to be a mentor?
Interested students must be a rising junior or senior in an HHP major with a 3.0 minimum UF GPA.
Who is eligible to be a mentee?
Any freshman or first-semester transfer student who has chosen a major within the College of Health and Human Performance.
- Interested upperclassman must complete the HHPeers MENTOR application with a copy of their current résumé. We are looking for candidates who are responsible, hard-working, outgoing, warm, friendly, and have a strong passion for service to others.
- Time commitment: academic year Fall 2016 – Spring 2017. Mentors should be prepared to meet with each mentee a minimum of 3 meetings per fall/spring term.
- Applications must be submitted to the HHP Dean’s Office (FLG 200) by September 15, 2016 at 4:00pm.
Once selected a mentor should:
- Be familiar with the needs of new students
- Develop rapport with the mentee through regular meetings/interactions (a minimum of 3 meetings per fall/spring term)
- Be accessible and willing to assist the mentee (via email, phone or text)
- Serve as an academic role model
- Any freshmen or first-semester transfer student who has officially declared an HHP major. This program is on a first-come, first serve basis. The number of mentees accepted into this program will be based on the availability of mentors.
- Students interested in being mentees should complete the HHPeers MENTEE application by September 15, 2016 at 4:00pm. Completed applications must be submitted to the HHP Dean’s Office (FLG 200).
- The Office of Academic & Student Affairs will make sure mentors adhere to the rules of appropriate conduct with the mentees.
- Applications will be reviewed with mentor/mentee assignments made by late September. Mentors/mentees will be assigned by the Office of Academic & Student Affairs. Both the mentor and mentee will be notified via email of their selection and assignments.
Questions? Please contact Sarah Eberhart (email@example.com) with any clarifications or questions regarding the HHPeers Mentor/Mentee program.