What is the internship requirement?
The internship is the capstone course of the Bachelor of Science in Sport Management. The internship provides the student with the opportunity to pursue professional experience in his/her option area. It is a 12 credit hour experiential learning opportunity completed over the course of 13 weeks during the Fall, Spring or Summer semester. During the internship, the student is provided the opportunity to apply knowledge to practice. The internship is based on the philosophy that course work and theory, when supplemented with a variety of observations and hands-on work experiences, will provide the student with the opportunity to enhance his/her professional development as well as increase the student’s understanding and appreciation of the profession.
Internship Course Information
- Course Number and Title: SPM 4941C Internship in Sport Management
- Credit Hours: 12 credit hours
- Time Commitment: 40 hours/week for 13 Weeks (520 hours total)
- Semesters Offered: Fall, Spring and Summer C
- Grade: S/U
- Prerequisites: Students must receive academic clearance with an advisor to ensure all required university and department coursework for the university and the department have been completed or will be complete prior to beginning the internship. In addition to the completion of required coursework, students must have maintained a 2.0 or better cumulative grade point average in overall and upper division course work.
Student Intern Resources
The Internship office in 330 FLG has information available on hundreds of potential internship sites, but students are also encouraged to seek out additional sites that meet their career objectives. The internship database linked below offers suggestions of organizations where past students have completed their internship.
If you have any questions about your internship site, semester or submission items, please email graduate assistant, Jackson Kewitsch.
- SPM Internship Manual
- THEM and SPM Internship Site Database
- SPM 6947/6948
- SPM Internship Assignment Deadlines - Spring 2020 (All internship correspondence and evaluations should be submitted on Canvas)
- SPM Interns - Spring 2020
|Internship Semester||Spring 2021||Summer 2021||Fall 2021|
Potential Internship Host Organizations:
If your organization is interested in hosting a UF intern or practicum student or sharing an internship posting with our department, please email our internship coordinator, Dr. Douglas DeMichele, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage sites to share a position description, application information and/or link and contact person for us to share with our students.
SPM internships may be paid or unpaid, but the student must work 40 hours per week for 13 weeks beginning the first day of the UF semester (UF Academic Calendar). The internship is intended to immerse the UF student in the organization’s culture and expose the student to professional interactions common within the industry. Students welcome the opportunity to shadow CEO’s and other leaders, take on specific projects, organize volunteers, work with social media, participate in campaigns, but most importantly to CONTRIBUTE to the agency. We know that our student will receive a well-rounded experience but ask that all agency leaders prepare a 13-week plan specifying the anticipated interactions scheduled for our senior interns. We welcome flexible plans but do ask that site supervisor specify each week of the internship.
As a prerequisite to the internship, students must work a minimum of 80 hours as a component of a pre-internship course at an approved agency within the industry. Additionally, practicum experiences (consisting of 48 hours per credit hour earned) allow the UF student to participate in supervised experiential learning opportunities. If you are interested in hosting a student completing the 80-hour experience or a part-time practicum experience, please reach out to Dr. DeMichele.
Please direct all internship forms and questions to:
FLG 330 C
P.O. Box 118208
Gainesville, FL 32611-8208
(352) 294-1660 | email@example.com