Master's Degree Guidlines for TRSM

Below are important guidelines and information necessary for completing your Master's Degree in the Department of Tourism, Recration & Sport Management. If you have any questions, please contact your Graduate Coordinator.

Degree Title and Options

The Master of Science Degree awarded in the Department of Tourism, Recreation & Sport Management, referred to in general terms as the M.S. degree, includes two primary degree options:

  • Tourism and Recreation Management (30 credit thesis/non-thesis options)
    • Areas of concentration:
      • Tourism
      • Natural Resource Recreation 
    • Areas of Specialization
      • Tourism Analytics
      • Destination Development and Crisis Managemen
  • Sport Management (30 credit thesis/36 credit non-thesis options)
    • No Concentrations

Elective Coursework

The student and advisor select elective coursework based on the student’s career or research interests. Projects relating to interest areas can be completed as non-lecture coursework (see above section). Coursework taken outside of the TRSM department must be approved by the student’s advisor.

Undergraduate courses (1000-2000) may not be used as any part of graduate degree requirements. All 1000- and 2000- level courses may be taken on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) basis to enhance one’s background knowledge, if enrolled as a graduate student, but do not count towards the credits needed for an MS degree.

Six credits of upper level undergraduate courses (3000-4000) outside the TRSM department may count when taken as part of an approved graduate program. Consult your Academic Advisor/Committee Chair before registering to determine if the proposed course is acceptable to your degree plan. Enrollment without approval may result in the course being evaluated as inadequate to count towards the MS degree.

Transfer of Credit

Only graduate-level (5000-7999) work with a grade of B or better is eligible for transfer of credit. A maximum of 15 transfer credits are allowed. These can include no more than 9 credits from institutions approved by UF, with the balance obtained from post-baccalaureate work at the University of Florida. Credits transferred from other universities are applied toward the degree requirements, but grades earned are not computed in the student’s grade point average. Acceptance of transfer of credit requires approval of the student’s supervisory committee and the Dean of the Graduate School.

Petitions for transfer of credit for a master’s degree must be made during the student’s first term of enrollment in the Graduate School.

The supervisory committee is responsible for using established criteria to ensure the academic integrity of coursework before accepting graduate transfer credits.

Advisors and Supervisory Committee

The Graduate Coordinator will assign the student to a graduate faculty advisor prior to his/her first semester of enrollment. The student has until the end of the first semester of enrollment to select a different supervisory committee chair if desired. There must be a minimum of three supervisory committee members for thesis students and a minimum of two committee members for non-thesis master students (this includes the supervisory committee chair).  Note that each member must hold graduate faculty status. It is strongly recommended that the supervisory committee members be selected by the end of the first semester of enrollment. However, in no case shall they be selected later than the end of the second semester of enrollment.

If the student selects the thesis option, one supervisory committee member must be from outside the student’s major department. If the student selects a minor, one supervisory committee member must be from the minor department.  If the student desires to change his/her supervisory committee chair or members, he/she must petition to the department graduate committee, who makes a recommendation to the Department Chair for final approval.

Minimum Committee Member Requirements: Non-Thesis: Chair + 1 Member | Thesis: Chair + 2 Members

Time Limitation

All work (including transferred credit) counted toward the master’s degree must be completed within 7 years before the degree is awarded.

Leave of absence:

Any student who will not register at UF for a period of more than one semester needs prior written approval from the supervisory committee chair for a leave of absence for a designated period of time. This approval remains in the student’s departmental file. The Graduate School does not require notification. The student must reapply for admission upon return. Click here for the Readmission Application.

Non-lecture coursework

To register for independent study or supervised research courses, students must complete and submit the course registration form to their advisor for approval, and then to the Graduate Program Assistant for processing.


  • Every 48 clock hours = 1 credit hour of coursework
  • Registration credits vary from 1-3 credits with a maximum of 6 credits
  • The student’s supervisory committee chair/advisor will assist with the practicum placement and serve as the university practicum supervisor


  • Every 48 clock hours of internship = 1 credit hour of coursework
  • Registration credits vary from 3-9 credits with a maximum of 9 credits
  • The student’s supervisory committee chair/advisor will assist with the internship placement and serve as the university internship supervisor

>>Click here for Graduate Student Forms